Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Lafayette in the News 02.08.07

Lafayette Mining has branded as baseless and irresponsible the allegations by a militant anti-mining group that it said is desperate to stop the Rapu-Rapu project now that it is on the verge of resuming operations.
Barangay Mananao, where those who died come from according to the anti-mining group Kalikasan-PNE, is on the other end of the island and is 15 kilometers away from the project site, the company said.
"This is like saying that the death in Valenzuela was caused by a project located in Muntinlupa," Lafayette said in a statement.
Around $3.9 million worth of copper and zinc concentrates were generated during the six-month test run of the controversial Lafayette Philippines polymetallic mining project in this island. The Rapu-Rapu Processing Inc. (RRPI), a subsidiary of Lafayette, said this "incidental production" will be shipped to China and Korea in three tranches after the company obtained an ore transport permit from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
RRPI president Manuel Agcaoili said the first tranche of 800 tons of copper concentrates worth $1.8 million has already been shipped to China last week. He said the second tranche, around 705 tons and worth $1.1 million, will also go to China.
...
He said the third tranche of 1,600 tons of zinc concentrates worth some $1 million will be sent to Korea by the middle of this month.
All minerals are, of course, leaving the country for processing.

(crossposted from the ATM site)

No comments: